An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the old saying goes, and this is especially true in dentistry. Although many people ignore or put off their dentist's advice to floss every day and schedule regular appointments for preventive care, taking oral hygiene and prevention seriously is the key to avoiding tooth decay and gum disease in the future. But it is never too late to get started when it comes to developing a good oral hygiene routine. The dentists at Erickson Dental Care in Pass, OR, Dr. Sten Erickson, Dr. Mart Erickson, and Dr. Rachel Erickson recommend getting started with a comprehensive dental exam and professional cleaning, especially if it has been more than six months to a year since your last appointment.
Preventive Dental Care in Pass, OR
Most people are familiar with the basics of a good oral hygiene routine:
- Brush after each meal
- Floss every day (morning or evening is just as effective, find the time the works best for you and be consistent)
- Go to the dentist every six months
Additional Tips for Good Oral Hygiene
Taking care of the basics will go a long way, but there are a few other factors to consider when it comes to oral health. In order to make the most of your oral hygiene routine and to protect your teeth and gums from common oral health issues like inflammation and cavities, incorporate the following steps:
- Change your toothbrush on a regular basis (every few months, or when the bristles become worn)
- Gently brush your tongue and gums as well as your teeth
- Eat a healthy diet and consume sugary foods and drinks, as well as alcohol in moderation
- Don't smoke
- Brush the entire surface of each tooth
Find a Dentist in Grants Pass, OR
For more information and tips on how to improve and maintain your oral health, contact Erickson Dental Care by calling 541-476-3419 to schedule an appointment today.